Friday, July 13, 2012

Parsonage Ramblings


Every once in a while I have those days when I wish I didn’t live in a parsonage. Mostly because I have to get approval before I do anything in the house.  There is a leak in the basement—call the Trustees. Wait.  The lawn mower hasn’t started in two consecutive weeks—call the Trustees, again. And wait.  The latest tragic misfortune to strike Holland Road: the toilet runs non-stop over night creating condensation that drips from the toilet disfiguring the bathroom tile.  What’s my next move? You guessed it, call the Trustees.  

Of course, this really isn’t that big of a deal. I take a lot for granted (like not having to pay rent). I am a spoiled United States citizen. I forget that a parsonage is hospitality when it’s at its best; they “welcome the stranger.” United Methodist Churches do not ‘call’ their pastors, but pastors are ‘sent’ from the conference creating a sort-of arranged marriage between Church and pastor. The pastor and the Church say to one another, “Will you learn to love me?”  Itinerancy has its flaws, but it can be a wonderful lesson in hospitality. For the Church is faced with the challenge to welcome the strange new pastor into their church, their community, and their house.  “Come live with us. Yes, even in our house,” says the Church who is up to the challenge.

Our Church was up to the challenge and they have done a great job of welcoming two young, spoiled, and naïve (but enthusiastic) strangers into their house and community.
About a month ago a parishioner, who is zealous about having a pristine parsonage tells me in the hospital, “I want all of my memorials to be donated to the parsonage fund.”
 I interjected, “But, you are going to be released from the hospital today…”  
“I know; it’s just been on my mind. I’ve been thinking about how important a parsonage is.  How will we ever take care of our community, if we can’t even take care of our pastor? A worn-out parsonage means that our Church is worn-out.”    
 “Done deal."

John Wesley would also agree. He believed that your outward appearance signifies what kind of character you have.  In other words, if you are a slob in some parts of your life, then you are likely to become a slob in other parts of your life. He noted, “cleanliness is next to godliness”: “Be cleanly. In this let the Methodists take pattern after the Quakers. Avoid all nastiness, dirt, slovenliness, in your person, clothes, house and all about you. Do not stink! Let none ever see a ragged Methodist.”  I would guess that the same might go for a Methodist’s parsonage. A ragged Methodist parsonage signifies that the character of that Methodist Church must also be ragged. 

I can’t help but to wonder what the Church imagined when I first moved in and failed to mow the lawn in a timely manner.  “Will a pastor who overlooks lawn care, overlook us too?”

I am blessed to be a pastor to a parishioner who takes pride in the parsonage.  I pray for the grace to develop this kind of character, too.  One day maybe we will both be able to develop the character to be able to look upon the entire world as our parish and treat the world with love and hospitality.   

3 comments:

  1. you are so good at writing. just saying. this was great. and true. annnd im grateful that you fixed that toliet. well at least turned it off and fixed the floor. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out for a doctor whose plants are dead in the waiting room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill,
    Ha. Wise words for sure. Hope you are doing well! Now that I am a bit older, I realize that I took for granted those years in which I was able to garner wisdom from you and others at RHUMC. Should've sought out ya'lls wisdom a bit more!

    ReplyDelete