Saturday, May 5, 2012

Abiding in Jesus after General Conference

General Conference was frustrating for many Methodists. There are also enough blogs commenting upon the futility of the two week Conference in Tampa, Florida. I have nothing unique to add to these discussions. Conversely, I was struck by the Gospel text for tomorrow.

We receive an important text after General Conference. John 15 is probably the most famous chapter in John and one of the most well known chapters in all of Scripture. Jesus speaks, “Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear much fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches and apart from me you can do nothing.” What does it mean to abide in Jesus? In the Message, Eugene Peterson translates these verses to read: “Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you.” Isn’t that beautiful?

A few verses later in John 15, Jesus proclaims, “I no longer call you servants , but I have called you friends.” We are friends of our Creator. Do you suppose that Jesus calls to each of us and says, “Abide in me. Live in me. Remain in me. Talk to me. Work with me. Sacrifice for me. Become my companion."

Most Methodists across the world wil celebrate Holy Communion tomorrow. The word companion literally means “one who shares bread.”It makes me wonder if Communion is really just about friendship. When we break the bread of Jesus Christ, all of the components of friendship come together—there is intimacy, there is trust and sacrifice, and there is love. As we eat the elements of bread and wine we are allowing the Holy Spirit to reform our bodies into a home for our God. Communion is abiding in God and allowing God to abide in you. We come to the table to strengthen our connection to the vine, make our home in Jesus, and finally, to become Jesus’ companion.

Let me end where I started. A friend, mentor, and delegate to General Conference told me not to worry about the outcome of Conference right before he left. He told me to worry about pastoring my own Church, to worry about fostering a community of discipleship, and to worry about being a "vital" congregation (whatever that means). His point was that one General Conference was not going to instantaneously change the world, but individual congregations can when we abide in Jesus.

Individual congregations engaged in mission and love can accomplish what General Conference did not accomplish. What will our next steps be as individual congregations across the world? Will we fully abide in God? Will we talk to God? Will we work with God and re-create the world? Let's start with being Jesus' friends; let's start with Communion.

No comments:

Post a Comment